Tuesday, June 25, 2013

You’re Not Wanted Here


 



The music stopped; my chair was gone, and I was faced with having to leave a job and career to which I was totally committed and loved for over 30 years. A corporate reorganization resulted in my position and group being eliminated and absorbed. No, they said I wasn’t being fired; "your performance was exemplary; it’s just that your position would no longer exist.” “Well,” I asked, “if that’s the case how come I couldn’t do this or that?”

… Lord, but let me first say farewell to those at my home.

To which the response was: “No, sorry, those options are not in the plans.” So, now I had to leave a place where I was no longer wanted (Luke 9:51-62) . How was that possible?  I had to uproot my family and an established lifestyle, leave my friends behind and go to a place where I was wanted…but just not here anymore. Hurt, anger and a futile urge to “strike back” were emotions that ruled my life for a long time.

Lord, do you want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them?

Little did I know at the time that this pain and anguish would lead to new opportunities, personal growth and a transformation of sorts that would not have been possible had I remained anchored in that comfortable place. Little did I know that what seemed like an interminably difficult period of loss and “exile” protected me from the peril and upheaval awaiting those in that place I left behind. Little did I know then that in the long run, it was all for the best… and all part of a plan.

Let the dead bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God

1 comment:

  1. Human beings have needs that must be met if we are to remain human. Of course there are physical needs like food, clothing and shelter. But to be fully human, people need to be loved, and have the opportunity to show love. We need a sense of purpose for our lives and we need a sense that we are not just pawns in a game we don't control.
    Part of the magnificence of Christianity is the assurance that we are partners with our God in creating a better world. In that we are fulfilled by the sense of mission as well as by the result of our efforts.
    Fr. Don+

    ReplyDelete